I had to bake something at the last-minute for work recently and only had about an hour, so cupcakes were out. Usually I just whip up brownies in this situation, but I didn’t have any brownie mix on hand. Then I realized – I could make these from scratch!
I pulled out my trusty Joy of Cooking and found a recipe for Brownies Cockaigne.
First, I melted butter and chocolate in a sauce pan, then set aside to cool (I was crunched for time so I stuck it in the fridge).
Once they were cooled, I beat 4 eggs and salt with a wire whisk…
I whisked in sugar and vanilla, then stirred in the chocolate mixture and flour until just combined.
I poured into a greased pan and baked for approx. 30 minutes.
Before it cooled, I dusted with powdered sugar – pretty!
This is a quick, easy recipe and only needs 7 ingredients – in my opinion, it was pretty comparable to the Ghirardelli boxed mix I usually use!
Brownies Cockaigne (from Joy of Cooking)
1 stick unsalted butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
4 large eggs
¼ tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
· Preheat oven to 350
· Melt butter and chocolate together in small saucepan. Cool completely.
· Beat eggs and salt until foaming. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well.
· Add the cooled chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.
· Add the flour and stir until just combined.
· Pour into a greased 13”x9” pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
· Place on wire rack to cool and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.