Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Whoopie!

Sur La Table recently had a big winter bakeware sale and I ordered a Whoopie Pie Pan.  It arrived this weekend and I was so excited to use it!  Since Valentine's Day just passed, I decided to try out Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.  I adapted this recipe.

First I whisked together the dry ingredients - 2c flour, 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.

I set that aside and creamed 1 stick of butter with 1c brown sugar then beat in an egg and 2tsp vanilla.

I didn't have buttermilk, so I mixed some lemon juice with 1/2 cup of regular milk and waited for it to curdle (sounds gross, but it works!).  I added this and the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, then mixed in about 2 tbsp of red food coloring.

It made exactly 12 cakes - or enough for 6 Whoopies.  At least, enough for 6 whoopies the way I poured them....

These took approx 12 minutes to bake.  While they were in the oven, I made vanilla cream cheese frosting for the filling.  I combined 1 stick of butter with one package of cream cheese, then added in confectioners' sugar (approx 2-3 cups, I was measuring based on consistency) and 2 tbsp vanilla extract.

When the cakes were done, they were HUGE.  Way too big!  I guess I poured too much batter into the molds; I filled the molds to the top, and probably should have only filled them 1/2 - 3/4 full.  Oops :)

Like I said, BIG whoopies!  Once they cooled, I added a dollop of the cream cheese filling to six cakes, and pressed down with the others to make sandwiches.  I made about twice as much frosting as I needed.  Maybe these should be called WHOOPSIE Pies?

No comments:

Post a Comment