Friday, April 8, 2011

My first attempt at Waffles.

Last weekend, I woke up Sunday morning craving waffles.  Growing up, my mom often made us waffles on Sunday mornings after church.  It’s one of my favorite memories – I remember my dad always put peanut butter and maple syrup on his, which grossed me out at the time… now, it actually sounds pretty good!  So, I have a waffle iron that I’ve never used.  It was bought on sale at Target about a year ago, amid visions of freshly baked waffles and fruit on the weekends.  The vision never came to fruition… until now!

Problems: I didn’t have waffle mix.  Or fresh fruit.  Or my mom to help.  At least the first part of this dilemma could be solved without me needing to change out of my pajamas – with some help from Joy of Cooking.

I had all the ingredients on hand, so I figured this would be super easy.  I had visions of light, fluffy waffles dancing in my head!  Alas, it was not to be.  Yes, my friends, I’m afraid we’re going to have to file this one under “baking FAIL.”

It started easily enough – I whisked together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. 
In a second bowl I whisked together an egg and 1 cup of milk, then melted butter.  This is where things went downhill.  The cookbook called for 1-2 sticks of butter.  That seemed like a lot to me!  I went with 1 stick.  This turned out to be way too much.

However, I continued on – creating a “well” in the middle of the dry ingredients to pour the butter mixture into...

... and whisked it until “just” combined.  I knew enough from using mixes that you don’t want to over-whisk waffle mix!

I poured some onto the waffle iron. 
Problem #1 – I poured way too much on!  As soon as I closed the lid, this happened.
Yikes!

Problem #2 – the waffles would not’ rise and get light and fluffy!  This was likely due to the STICK of melted butter I added to the mix.


My boyfriend was a trooper and ate one, and I had half a waffle as well but overall this will have to be filed as a ‘fail.’  At least now I know for next time – and will keep you updated on attempt #2!

Waffles
1 ¾ C sifted flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 c milk
1 stick melted unsalted butter (I would recommend adding less than this for non-FAIL waffles!  2-3 tbsp should be enough)

In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk, then whisk in butter.  Create a ‘well’ in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter mixture.  Whisk until just blended (don’t overmix!).  Pour into your waffle iron (baking time varies by appliance – mine took about 5-6 min).  Add butter, syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, or all of the above – and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment