Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Vanilla Frosting

I decided to make cupcakes this weekend.  I decided I’d been baking too much with chocolate (and peanut butter!) lately.  The weather was beautiful and I had some fresh blueberries on hand, so I decided to try lemon cupcakes with blueberry frosting.  It sounded nice and light and spring-like!  This recipe is adapted from my grandmother’s old vanilla cupcake recipe.

First I got together my ingredients, preheated the oven and lined a cupcake pan.

I creamed softened butter with white sugar, then added eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, I whisked together bread flour, baking powder and salt, then slowly added to the butter mixture, alternating it with buttermilk.  After that I zested (is that a word?) the outer skin of 1 large lemon and added that to the mixture then made sure it was all mixed together!
 I should add that I had never used a zester before and didn't realize how sharp it was!  My poor fingers are all scraped up after using it.

I poured into the cupcake pan and put into the oven to bake.
I baked these for 19 minutes; they probably could have come out a minute earlier.  But boy did the lemon smell delicious!

While the cupcakes were cooling, I got to work on the frosting.  I chopped up ½ c blueberries, 1tsp sugar and 1 tbsp water in a food processor and set aside. 

In a large bowl, I creamed butter and vanilla then slowly added confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time.  I then added ¼ c milk and the blueberries.

I decorated the cupcakes with my Wilton Dessert Decorator Pro

These are a great treat for spring/summer, and the sweetness of the blueberry was a great complement to the lemon cake. 

I also had to show off this fun new gadget.  My mom picked this up for me - its an individual cupcake carrier - for when you get that lunchtime craving!  Isn't it cute?  I wish I knew where she picked it up because this would be a great gift item.



Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes
1/2c unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
1 ½ c bread flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ c buttermilk
·         Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan
·         In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. 
·         Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well
·         Add vanilla and mix well
·         In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
·         Slowly add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter mixture
·         Zest the outer layer of one large lemon and add to batter
·         Mix well and pour into cupcake liners
·         Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

Blueberry Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1c unsalted butter, softened
5-6c confectioners sugar
¼ c milk
2 tsp vanilla
½ c blueberries
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
·         In a food processor, combine blueberries, granulated sugar and water and set aside
·         In a large bowl, cream butter and slowly add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time
·         Slowly add vanilla, milk and blueberries
·         Mix until fluffy

Decorate as you wish and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment