I decided to make cupcakes this weekend. I decided I’d been baking too much with chocolate (and peanut butter!) lately. The weather was beautiful and I had some fresh blueberries on hand, so I decided to try lemon cupcakes with blueberry frosting. It sounded nice and light and spring-like! This recipe is adapted from my grandmother’s old vanilla cupcake recipe.
First I got together my ingredients, preheated the oven and lined a cupcake pan.
I creamed softened butter with white sugar, then added eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, I whisked together bread flour, baking powder and salt, then slowly added to the butter mixture, alternating it with buttermilk. After that I zested (is that a word?) the outer skin of 1 large lemon and added that to the mixture then made sure it was all mixed together!
I should add that I had never used a zester before and didn't realize how sharp it was! My poor fingers are all scraped up after using it.
I poured into the cupcake pan and put into the oven to bake.
I baked these for 19 minutes; they probably could have come out a minute earlier. But boy did the lemon smell delicious!
While the cupcakes were cooling, I got to work on the frosting. I chopped up ½ c blueberries, 1tsp sugar and 1 tbsp water in a food processor and set aside.
In a large bowl, I creamed butter and vanilla then slowly added confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. I then added ¼ c milk and the blueberries.
I decorated the cupcakes with my Wilton Dessert Decorator Pro.
These are a great treat for spring/summer, and the sweetness of the blueberry was a great complement to the lemon cake.
I also had to show off this fun new gadget. My mom picked this up for me - its an individual cupcake carrier - for when you get that lunchtime craving! Isn't it cute? I wish I knew where she picked it up because this would be a great gift item.
Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes
1/2c unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
1 ½ c bread flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ c buttermilk
· Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan
· In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
· Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well
· Add vanilla and mix well
· In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
· Slowly add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter mixture
· Zest the outer layer of one large lemon and add to batter
· Mix well and pour into cupcake liners
· Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Blueberry Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1c unsalted butter, softened
5-6c confectioners sugar
¼ c milk
2 tsp vanilla
½ c blueberries
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
· In a food processor, combine blueberries, granulated sugar and water and set aside
· In a large bowl, cream butter and slowly add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time
· Slowly add vanilla, milk and blueberries
· Mix until fluffy
Decorate as you wish and enjoy!